Basilisk is a free and Open Source XUL-based web browser designed by the Pale Moon team. This is a modern web browser based on the latest Firefox version code. It was developed aiming to provide the user with an alternative to the Mozilla browser that presents the same great options.
Basilisk is primarily a reference application for the development of the XUL platform it builds, and is also a potential replacement for Firefox.
Because it borrows modern Firefox iteration codes, Basilisk is equipped with support for modern ciphers and WebAssembly, as well as other features that you will find in the latest Firefox edition.
The browser is based on the Goanna rendering engine, which is a fork of Mozilla’s Gecko so it shouldn’t be surprising that both the interface and operating modes are similar to Firefox before version 57. From tab management options to button layout, main menu and Firefox customization settings, everything is in the Basilisk too.
The options section opens exactly like in Firefox, allowing you to change the behavior and appearance of the browser, configure search engines, manage content and notifications, and configure privacy and security-related settings.
Basilisk relies on a powerful rendering engine, bringing all the facilities you know if you use Firefox. In addition, extensions, even old ones, work. And, because the development team’s attention is focused on platform development, the browser user interface will experience slight changes, at least in the near future
Features and Highlights
- Support for NPAPI plugins ( Flash, Java, Unity, Silverlight, authentication plugins, etc.).
- Support for XUL / Mozilla Overlay style extensions.
- Experimental support for WebExtensions (in target-gecko mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension
- APIs are not yet available.
- Support for ALSA on Linux.
- Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
- Support for advanced Graphite font formation features.
- Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern passwords, HSTS, etc.
Requirements: Windows 7 64 / Windows 8 64 / Windows 10 64
Download: Basilisk 2021.04.27 (32-bit) | 40.1 MB – Open Source
Download: Basilisk 2021.04.27 (64-bit) | 45.4 MB – Open Source
Author: Moonchild Productions