ClamAV is an open source and cross platform antivirus software to detect dangerous threats such as trojans, viruses, malware and other. In a variety of situations it can perform email scanning, web scanning, and also endpoint security.
This software is equipped with multi-threaded scanner daemon, command line tools that are designed for on demand file scan and update virus databases. Comes without a graphical user interface (GUI), however a number of third-party have developed GUIs for various Operating System and uses, such as Clam Sentinel, ClamWin, Immunet and more.
Because it performs all operations through command line, the application only leave a small footprint and need a few resources to detect unwanted viruses.
Although the package does not include a guidance documents or help file, but user can access online resources that available in the developer’s website.
ClamAV is an open-source (GPL) anti-virus software and is completely free with source code to anyone who want to use it. If you modify the ClamAV source code or use it in your own projects you must follow all license requirements or also you can share opinions with a large user community.
It’s optimized for email servers which makes it more suitable for network administrators than for ordinary users. ClamAV is one of the available solutions as a lightweight virus scanner for your email gateway.
Features and Highlights
- Command line scanner
- Milter interface for sendmail and on-demand scanning
- An advanced database updater
- Database updated several times per day
- Default support for all standard mail file formats
- Support for various archive formats, including Zip, RAR, Gzip, Bzip2, Dmg, Tar and others
- Support for ELF executable files and Portable Executable files
- Support for popular document file formats including MS Office and MacOffice such as RTF, Flash, HTML and PDF files
Requirements: Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10
Download: ClamAV 0.103.0 | 33.5 MB – Open Source
Author: Cisco Systems, Inc.