Stellarium is a free open source planetarium program for your computer that helps you to explore realistic planets and constellations in a 3D view. It provides you details about celestial bodies, simulates solar and lunar eclipses, and displays Messier and Milky Way objects.
After you launch the application, it opens in full screen mode. Simply one click in the sky, you can get details about the such object, namely the type, magnitude, longitude and latitude of the galaxy.
Objects can be seen using a telescope, which can be configured in term of name, focal length and diameter. Plus, you can choose a location on the map based on coordinats, latitude, longitude, altitude, and country to jump to.
An awesome feature that offered by this app is allowing you to travel back in time and see the position of constellations and other objects in the sky. You only need to adjust the date and time that you want in a special dialog, and Stellarium automatically generates projections from that period.
Addtional, you can adjust the brightness of the Milky Way and make the program display the atmosphere, falling stars and planetary orbits, and view information about the celestial sphere.
Stellarium allows users to choose projection modes, view landscapes from many locations of world and add new ones from the ZIP archive, and learn a variety of different celestial cultures.
Features of Stellarium:
- The default catalog is more than 600,000 stars
- Extra catalog with more than 210 million stars
- Asterism and illustration of constellations
- Constellations for twelve different cultures
- Nebula image (complete Messier catalog)
- A realistic Milky Way view
- Powerful zoom
- Time control
- Multilingual interface
- Fish-eye projections for planetarium domes
- Round mirror projection for your own inexpensive dome
- Equator lattice
- Twinkling stars
- Shooting star
- Eclipse simulation
- Supernova simulation
- Thin landscape, now with round panoramic projections
- Adds artificial satellites, ocular simulations,telescope
configurations and more by the plugin system
- Allowing to add new solar system objects from online resources
- Add deep sky objects, landscaping, draw your own constellation
Requirements: Windows 7 64 / Windows 8 64 / Windows 10 64
Download: Stellarium 0.20.1 (32-bit) | 251 MB – Open Source
Download: Stellarium 0.20.1 (64-bit) | 254 MB – Open Source
Author: Fabien Chereau